Wednesday, February 4, 2009

day san(3)

short post today, i have catching up to do, I didn't memorize these words well enough yesterday.
Up to hachi(8) words,
ある , aru -- a certain something, one thing?, to be alive, if a living thing, or to have if not living. one can "have" a pet, which is also alive, not sure how this works, that may be up to context and tone. i'm basically remembering this by associating the english words 'a' and 'alive' with possesion if not alive somehow falling in there.

いる, iru -- insert, exist, need. right now i'm remembering this by combining the long e sound from 'eexist' with a high pitched 'eeeeek!' type sound that you might make if someone gave you a shot(which is an alternate meaning). I think this can also mean 'the point' of a conversation, but i'm not really remembering that right now.

こと , koto -- fact,say/talk/tell,circumstances/current state,WORD! This is an awesome こと. One word that means fact,circumstances,say, and word seems ripe for overuse.

日, hi -- day, sun, abbreviation of Tokyo. mixing in kanji may seem confusing, but it was on my list, so, it's time to learn it.

ない , nai -- nothing,zero, etc. i've started counting from ない に ku instead of ichi に juu, in true coder style :-p. (I used に as a word indicating direction of movement: 0 に 9 , 1 に 10. I read that it can be used similarly to the word 'to' when denoting travel to a destination, i'm not sure if this is appropriate though)

も, mo -- lose, loss, mourn. seaweed,algae. apparently も can also mean one's own family? i'm going to assume it means loss most of the time, though I could see family being prevalent.

から , kara -- empty shell, from, because of, since. I see an empty carapace when i hear this word, that is like an empty void and the source of all things.

で , de -- appear,leave,pay. no tricks here as such i had some trouble remembering the meaning of this word, though i could write the hirigana and romanji without trouble.

I encountered one word that I could not find a meaning for and had to skip: れる
I couldn't find anything on any of the 7 sources that I use. Even something close I would have taken (ex: remember when I thought と meant only door, and commented on the Nihon obsession with doors? ).
If anyone knows the meaning of れる please let me know.

Something new besides Nihongo lesson reviews soon :-p

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yes, tell us about your life outside nihongo lessons =)

わる (waru)... i immediately thought you were asking about this word which can mean "divide/break/crack/split/chop"

but when I noticed it was not "wa" as the first mora, instead "re" - i had to step back for a minute. my knowledge of れる (reru) was zero.

Dictionary = nothing. Ayako gave a good example, and Japanesepod101 had an excellent full page reference section dedicated to it. Essentially reru is used to form passive voice. From the website:

Passive voice refers to a sentence structure wherein the recipient of some action becomes the grammatical subject of the sentence. In Japanese, passive voice is indicated by verbs ending in "reru".

They go on to give even more detail, and plenty of good examples. Ayakos example was good, because it pertained to my lunch today (and my favorite Japanese sweet - dango).

Dango ha watashini taberareru.

Dango [subject] "by me" is eaten.

essentially the dango cannot eat something, instead it is eaten by me (so passive voice).

i like your questions jacob... i learned alot today with this one =)