Monday, February 2, 2009

*cough cough*

It's gotten a bit dusty since I was last here... partially due to the fact that I've taken up the habit of writing in a moleskine. I feel terribly trendy doing it, but it's oh so useful. I'll be typing up things that I write or have written from time to time.

I learned to solve the rubix cube in part due to a plain but inspiring status update (thanks Andy :-). It's a compulsion now, like bouncing your knee or squeezing a stress ball.

I like simple things. I have a simple idea. The word 'the' is roughly 6% of written English. The first 2000 most commonly occurring words are 90% of the English language. 2000 isn't that many things. At one point a few years ago, I could have with some difficulty named 2000 Magic: The Gathering cards, along with a general summary of their rules text and suggested use. If i learned 10 words/day of a foreign language, I think I would be close enough to get started on that language's wikipedia in a year.

So, I'm putting together some resources to help me learn my 10 words/day and learn Japanese.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good to see you updating again