Friday, July 25, 2008

mobilizing neurons

Ever notice an urge to snack on something while concentrating? Or play with something silly? It's a habit you learned because it HELPS. I've been reading about rewiring your brain recently, and it turns out stimulating as much of the brain as possible helps! Even if you would think it might be distracting. You can't use the same portion of your brain though, you have to do something completely different that doesn't require conscious thought. For those in the know, this might seem incredibly obvious to you, it fits right in line with the 'neurons that fire together, wire together' maxim.

So, I think I need a microfridge in my office with wasabi, ginger, jalepeno, lemon, lime, grapefruit, brown sugar, salt, basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, cinnamon, lavendar, mint, etc. Just so I can get that part of my brain moving. The downside being me trying to fit everything into an MVC architecture next time I go eat sushi.
I also need some small objects with multiple textures to fiddle with at work.
And probably 5-10 small pictures that inspire emotions in me to help activate my 'right brain' more.
Music, well, yea, that's already done.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sushi is good... makes me hungry

spreelanka said...

indeednomnomnom

Amanda said...

try having a small sudoku pad, a small drawing pad, and some colored lights to hang in the office. Many schools now have a "sensory room" where kids can go to kind of just space out and have a different sensory experience. You would turn the lights off and turn these colors on. Just make sure it isn't like a rave in there, because I don't think that's the kind of sensory experience you're looking for.